Nazarene Roundtable

A forum for discussion, reflection, and calls to action. Everyone is welcome.

Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Icons are Good


Let me begin by saying, I am a lifetime member of the Church of the Nazarene, born into the church, really. But this born Nazarene likes to consider himself an ecumenical Christian, a catholic Christian. Because of this, I love to explore and utilize different practices and tools found in other Christian traditions. One of these tools I love is the Icon, a tool most associated with the Orthodox Christian Tradition, the Eastern Christian Church, if you will. I have grown to admire the use of iconography in worship, prayer, solemnity, and teaching.

This past Saturday, I began teaching a class on theology for the Ministerial Studies program offered by our Church of the Nazarene district. The students are made up of males and females who are on the ordination track in our church. They have not been formally trained in seminary or university, so the church provides required classes in order for the students to complete the education requirements for ordination. So Saturday, I taught a lesson on the Person of Christ to 5 students, all older than me.

To mix it up a bit, and to practice what I just preached, I used an Icon as a teaching tool. It is the one you see above, The Nativity of Christ. I planned on explaining the Icon and the meaning behind the details, to which I prefaced with an explanation of Icons and their meaning an purpose. I explained that the term 'icon' means something that points to something else. When we look at an icon, we see something more than the icon, we see what the icon depicts, what it represents, and what it attempts to re-create in our minds and hearts. Also, I added that we are to be 'icons' of Christ. Ones who live as pointers to Him. When one sees us and engages with us, does that one see Christ?

After explaining the meaning, we proceeded to exegete the Nativity of Christ. We pointed out the obvious things, but as we went on, they got into it. They started pointing out things that I never thought of. It was great! Quite possibly the first icon some of these people had seen, and they were drawn to its meaning and they were empowered by its purpose. The icon, the thing which points to something else, served it purpose that day. The students learned, the teacher learned, and it was all to the glory of Christ. May we live as icons of Him.

And so, I ask you what I asked them, what does this icon represent, and to what does it point?

Peace be with you,
Joseph

2 Comments:

Blogger Zack said...

I have started throwing a couple of liturgical services into the mix of Wednesday night teen meetings, one at Christmas and one during Holy Week. We used that icon, among others, during the Christmas service. Our teens really enjoy the liturgical, or as we call them "candlelight", services that we do. We owe our teens more than pizza and video games and we owe our people more than coffee and _________[fill in the blank]. Yeah for icons. Good post Joseph.

4/01/2008 8:56 PM  
Blogger Joseph said...

'Candlelight eh?' You sly one Zack :-) Good to see you around here again. Keep it up in the Methodism.

4/01/2008 9:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home