Nazarene Roundtable

A forum for discussion, reflection, and calls to action. Everyone is welcome.

Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Let's Get it Going Again

For some reason or another, I did a browse of some old blogs that I used to read and participate in as a contributor/commentor. And who would have thought, my friend Brannon, the creative initiator behind 'Sanctifying Worship' had a new post!

In light of this discovery, I decided to check the last post that I have placed on my home blog, here at 'Nazarene Roundtable'. Seeing that the date was almost one year ago to the day, I felt ashamed and embarrassed. Well, not really. I have been incredibly busy in the past two years, and most of my writing has been done in essays and a dissertation. As I am not on a degree course right now, I believe it can be beneficial to put some new thoughts out to the world.

Therefore, in response to the actions taken by my friend Brannon, I too will submit a blog in an effort to keep our 2-3 year old vision alive.

Here we go...

If you know me, you know that I am not a Biblical scholar, but recently I have become extremely interested in investigating the Bible, its people, stories, and message. Since the last post, I have preached numerous times and I have begun to teach a Wednesday night youth/young people class on the Gospel according to Luke. The preparation for this class and discussion in this class has enhanced my knowledge and understanding of Luke tremendously. Now, the historical theologian who reads thousands of pages of history, has become the historical theologian, the one who has a million sermon ideas a day.

We are now in the midst of Holy Week, the week when we remember the Passion narrative, Jesus' final week with us on Earth. Each day this week, we have had the privilege of having a service at noon each day at the First United Methodist Church in the town where I live. Organised and carried out by the Ministerial Association (And ecumenical conglomerate of pastors from around the community who meet regularly for prayer and who pool money together into a general fund that is then distributed to those in the community who have need.) Monday through Friday a different pastor from a different church gives a short message on the last week of Christ's ministry on Earth. It is wonderful to hear the different styles, perspectives, and messages that are pronounced by these pastors. We are all the Body of Christ, and this week helps to give a physical picture of our Unity as those who proclaim Christ as Lord.

Anyway, the minister yesterday used the story in Exodus about how the Hebrews were out in the desert and there were snakes in the camp who were biting and, in effect, killing many of the people. Moses cried out to God for a deliverance from the death. God responded by telling Moses to make a brazen, or bronze, serpent and place it on a pole. He told Moses to 'lift up' the pole into the sky so that all may see it, and when they do, they will be healed.

Now the obvious illustration is that this story in the Old Testament is alluding to Jesus in the New Testament being 'lifted up' on the cross and when He is lifted up, He brings deliverance, healing, salvation. But, I thought of another illustration yesterday using this same story. Instead of speaking about the action being taken, I was drawn to the tool, or instrument, used to perform the action. In the story with Moses, God told him to make an image of the the serpent. He told him to make an image of the very thing causing the pain, agony, and ultimately, death. That very image of the cause of the pain, would then become the instrument used for deliverance, and healing.

In the same way, Jesus came to save humanity from our impending death. To do that He became the very image, the very thing, that caused pain, agony, and death. He became Humanity to save humanity from itself. The perfect image of God, perfect Humanity, the Second Adam, became One with the instrument of death in order to conquer death.

This was the thought that came to mind yesterday during the Holy Week sermon I heard. As it is fresh on my mind, I wished to share it as my first blog back. May we be reminded of the person and work of Christ this week. He came as Humanity to save all of humanity.

Grace and Peace to all.

Joseph

1 Comments:

Blogger Nazarene Youth Pastor said...

Great thoughts here- too often we speed through the "Word becoming Flesh" aspect because we have heard it so often throughout our church lives. It's humbling to take a minute to really focus on the ramifications of that action.

3/26/2008 2:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home