Nazarene Roundtable

A forum for discussion, reflection, and calls to action. Everyone is welcome.

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

The ecclesiology of blogging...

I've had some interesting back-and-forth recently, and with a few people even going back three years now to the inception of this blog and it's companion, about not simply the value but even the sheer possibility of having healthy conversation, especially about things of a theological nature, in venues such as blogs, social-networking sites, discussion boards and the like. While I fully acknowledge that such "online conversation spaces" (as I like to call them) can turn nasty and inhospitable, and at such a time are usually best disestablished and laid to rest, I've also seen them become a very encouraging and redemptive resource for pastors, lay persons and students of all sorts for the exchange of insights and experiences, for those who seek understanding and sometimes just for the purpose of floating an idea and allowing it to be scrutinized.

On the other hand, I've read my postmodern critical theory, and I know that words, once spoken or written, are orphaned and no longer under my control (as if they ever were or are), and can very easily be misconstrued, twisted, de-contextualized and abused as weapons against me or against anyone else for that matter. Then again, this risk is inherent to all language and therefore any and every form of communication. Which is to say, one might be able to minimize the risk (by limiting oneself to certain forms of communication, and avoiding others, like blogs), but it is ultimately inescapable....whether I publish something in a peer-reviewed journal, or speak it from a pulpit or a lectern in the classroom, or say it to somebody face-to-face, my words take on a life of their own from the moment they are uttered; they control me, not I them. I can seek to explain, clarify, retract - all of which merely increase the risk of further linguistic mis-fire.

So here's what I wonder, in light of all this: most of us would probably agree that the best place to "do theology" or to have theological discussions is within the church, the ecclesia or "assembly" - not off on my own somewhere; not in the ivory towers of academia; but within a "body" of some sort. Are we who populate this online conversation space a "body"? We are clearly dis-embodied insofar as we are digitally-mediated, separated by geography, time-zones, etc; but might we still understand there to be a sense and a spirit of "community," of ecclesia, about our interaction and conversation? Perhaps not, I don't know. What is at stake, I suppose, is whether or not a venue such as this is a viable space to engage in theological discourse. If not, we best abandon it. If so, is it worth fighting for, and to what lengths?

5 Comments:

Blogger Heath Countryman said...

Of course you are assuming that within a church, where people look each other in the eye, that there is a greater measure of restraint in misusing, mischaracterizing, and misrepresenting what a person has said than there is in the blog world... I have not found this to be the case, however maybe it is just the 10 or so churches I have been a member of in my lifetime. In fact, at least in a blog there is a written record of conversations, not just a "memory" of what he said/she said.

When you ask, "but might we still understand there to be a sense and a spirit of "community," of ecclesia, about our interaction and conversation?", it makes me wonder if that is the case anywhere. If not, then a blog is a place that is just as good, if not better, at fostering dialogue.

11/11/2008 10:51 AM  
Blogger Jared said...

Brannon, thanks for your post. I too know how volatile a blog conversation can be as I hear stories of staff members getting into trouble over things said in a blog or even which blogs they might read.

I would say that there is a body connection within a blog that functions a bit differently from that within our local churches. I would assume that having a name like Nazarene Roundtable that the readership of this blog is mostly Nazarene, but I could be wrong. I know that blogs open me up to a conversation that I am not having in my local church for various reasons that I won't go into here. Thankfully the connection found in the blogosphere sheds light on the fact that there is much more going on within the body of Christ than what I experience with the part of the body that I worship with.

I do believe that the conversation is worth fighting for, but to what extent I do not know. As a youth pastor I see that our students are exposed to so much more than I was 10-15 years ago. We as the church cannot put our head in the sand when it comes to uncomfortable conversations because that seems to only drive our students away when they start to think on their own. I believe that it is important to model that understand that having a conversation does not mean that you agree with everything your conversation partner is saying, nor does it mean that you have to get into a violent argument because you may disagree.

Hopefully we as a collection of clergy, layity and students can live that out faithfully in light of the God that we serve and the mission that we have been called to do.

11/11/2008 11:14 AM  
Blogger Brannon Hancock said...

Jared: thanks for your comment and affirmation. Mostly Nazarenes do populate these waters...a few former Nazarenes who are still connected to the denom. because of friends, family etc. I think you're on to an aspect of what I find valuable about the blogosphere, namely that awareness of and sense of connection to what's going on in the body more broadly, and how that impacts, relates to, sheds light upon (etc) what's going on in local churches. I think many of us find these dialogues very helpful and encouraging with regard to our practical ministry within our local churches.

Heath: just a clarification (see how inescapable it is!?)...I am not at all "assuming that within a church, where people look each other in the eye, that there is a greater measure of restraint in misusing, mischaracterizing, and misrepresenting what a person has said than there is in the blog world". To the contrary. Re-read my second paragraph. I think this is endemic to communication because it is endemic to language itself. So, in short, I agree with you entirely, especially about the value of having a record of what is actually said (even if that can be misinterpreted, etc) and having to be careful about how one expresses oneself because of the fact that is going to be in-print, in public, open to scrutiny, etc.

11/11/2008 12:18 PM  
Blogger Heath Countryman said...

lots of stuff keeps disappearing on here... hope all is well.

11/15/2008 2:02 AM  
Blogger Brannon Hancock said...

all is well...just trying to avoid unwanted and unnecessary scrutiny. kind of a conversation killer, I know...

11/15/2008 1:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home